Wednesday, September 28, 2011

In which I totally meant to post this Sunday, but didn't, so you get it on Wednesday instead

It's Sunday and I finally have time to myself to get things done, like surfing the internet and not cleaning and forgetting that the laundry has been waiting to go in the dryer for the last hour. It is a very productive day, you see.

The most exciting thing that's happened in the last week or so is that we got a new ironing board. I know, it's THRILLING. Our old ironing board we bought cheap, as we had just graduated from college and had no money, and it ended up sagging in the middle. The "board" part was plastic and so over time I guess the plastic melted and warped and there ended up being a fairly nice deep trench all through the center length of the ironing board. Why yes, that means EVERYTHING you've seen me make on this blog was pressed or ironed on a board that wasn't even close to being flat, which is as much a pain in the butt as it sounds like. Honestly, I hate to be all "IT WAS THE IRONING BOARD'S FAULT" but I swear half my mismatched seams and stuff were because I was pressing fabric at an angle, or in a trench. Anyway, the new ironing board wasn't exactly expensive either, but it's metal and much sturdier than our old one, so yay!


New ironing board action at an...uh, let's call it "artistic" angle. Yeah. 

And with the new ironing board I finished my mug rugs for the goodie swap. It took me way too long to do these because of how intimidated I got looking at everyone else's work on the flickr page. "Ahh, why do they have to be so awesome and complicated?!" I asked myself, and then finally it hit me: "Yeah, why DO they have to be so complicated?" It didn't help that my swappers both listed a bunch of colors and fabric that they did/didn't like and I was going crazy digging through my stash to find tons of fabrics. I totally respect those people who were able to make really neat designs and hand-quilt and stuff, but realizing that wouldn't work for ME and would just stress me out more was what allowed me to relax and get back into "sewing mode."

Both mug rugs ended up only having two fabrics (plus the binding, so three, really, I guess). I think it really ends up working, I mean, the colorful fabrics I think are colorful enough that the first thought that goes through your mind isn't "Gee, she only used TWO FABRICS, how lazy." I'm an hourglass block fan, so I used that for the "pinwheel." Neither mug rug is totally perfect but overall I'm really happy with how they turned out and I hope my swap partners like them.

I spy a bee button...!

The goodies are really easy pincushions. I had to put to use the bee buttons I got distracted by a while ago, and this seemed like a good use! A dragonfly snuck in there for one partner, too. I liked these enough that I made myself one as well. If I join another goodie swap I'll probably make more of these; they are quite fun.


Of course I had to keep a bee pincushion for myself! This was the first one made so it's not as fluffily stuffed as the ones that my swap partners are getting. 

5 comments:

  1. Those pincushions are adorable! What pattern did you use?

    Your mugrugs are great! Who cares that you didn't use eleventy billion different fabrics. The contrast makes a bold statement. Sometimes less is more n
    I used a random charm pack from who knows where for one of mine and the other was all from my scrap basket so don't feel bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're really cute! I love that you made one for yourself too...I'm thinking of re-creating my goodies for myself too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the mug rugs look great. I would be totally happy and content with the one on the left cause of those halloween colors you used! The pincushions are too cute. I think I've seen the tutorial somewhere before but dont remember. Can you tell me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel dumb--I usually bookmark all my sewing ideas/tutorials, but I cannot for the life of me find the tutorial I based my pincushions off of (I am sure I was googling something completely vague and unhelpful, like "easy pincushion"). So since I was planning to make more anyway, I'll document my next one and put up my own tutorial, hopefully by Monday. Unless I find the link to the other one first!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found you through Lily's Quilts. Great tutorial, and I love the photos! Keep up the great blogging!

    ReplyDelete